Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Summers End...




I just realized today, summer is almost over! I will not miss the usual stuff people miss. sunbathing and swimming, picnics and such. Oh those things are great!

But what I love about summer is the Vegetable and Fruit stands!

The produce is so fresh and delicious...Yum! The colors call to you. The snap of peas and beans as you prepare them for dinner. Carrots are so sweet! Tomatoes, and cucumbers, well I could eat those all day long.

Stuffed peppers, coleslaw with apples and onions, cooked cabbage, potatoes and veggies galore...

Oh my gosh and cauliflower! Make it up in a casserole dish with cheddar cheese and bread crumbs it's like tasting heaven!

Corn, bread and butter , bright yellow, or the sweet little white pearl ones, boiled, grilled, shucked and in salad. Ahhhhh....

Not to mention, grapes, peaches, nectarines, apples, and cherries!

My heart is beating so fast! I love them all!

But soon they will be shut down. I will have to partake of the fare at the grocery store. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful that the grocery store carries these things. but let's be honest they don't taste the same....

How I will miss the wonderful smells and tastes of the neighborhood farm market. Their producer's advice, talking with them and seeing the pride they have for their product. We are so lucky to have this abundance in this country!

But the truth is farmers are going away. We need to support them more. Much more! So if you like vegetables and fruits as much as I do, and love the fresh homegrown pride of our growers. take an hour this weekend, go with a list, bring extra cash, find your local farm market and stock up. Make jam, and sauce and freeze peppers and onions, make apple sauce and peach cobbler. Go home and make salads and soups. Just go Crazy!

Get your crunch on!

Tomato and mayo sandwich here I come!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment