Thursday, September 29, 2011

Do Wop Ditty!

Dancing!

Wow! Do I miss dancing!

Oh, I don't mean me myself. I still dance all the time. At home. But I miss it everywhere else.

Oh yes, I know, there is dancing with the stars on TV...

But I see a whole lot of people watching it, and talking about it. But not many people actually doing it.

You know dancing!

Moving your body with or with out a partner to the rhythm of the beat.

But there are no actual places offering to let you do it except dance studios. And if there are places besides dance studio's doing it, they are so above any place a kid could go and do it.

I was really lucky to have grown up in the 70's !
We had disco! And thanks to "Happy Days" the TV show. It was so popular we had 50's days dances at school. Not to mention, "Deep Purple",
American Bandstand, Soul Train. I mean... Wow! We were so lucky!

Every Friday night there were dances at school, 50 cents got you in, and pop and pop corn were $1.00. Local businesses even donated prizes. You could purchased a raffle ticket for a quarter, and the money went to a local charity.  Nothing better! And to top it off these dances were packed with kids dancing, Parents chaperoned the events. And the school made boodles of money on it. And the kids went home happy, slept in on Saturday morning. Nice!

No fighting, just loads of fun and good feelings...

My kids had one dance when they were in school, it didn't sound like fun and they all came home bummed out because you couldn't dance to the music they played. Rap. Okay, I like some rap, but yeah it can be a little hard to dance to if it is hard core.

Sadly the school decided at that point "No more dances"...

Okay, what? That's just sad...

Oh they said they were worried about possible fights. Well, if they had good music and had been dancing, I don't think they would have had to worry as much. And, oh my the kids just didn't seem to enjoy it.
Well, why quit after one try? Why not try to make it better next time? Plan better, have better music and food and beverages. that always helped the teens at my house.

We all danced a lot at my house growing up. And I continued that tradition when my kids were growing up. Dancing is fun. Even a big chubby old broad like me can dance!

And here's the big secret nobody in the right places seems to get. If you show kids that dancing  is fun, however lame they may think grownups are. They will get it. Kids know fun when they see it...

But maybe that's the problem today, everybody is so busy talking about unhealthy kids, that nobody is getting up and doing anything about it! Well dancing is healthy, and fun! Let's all stop standing on the sidelines and do it!
 And if you plan it right and get parents to volunteer, you can even make money to support your schools, your club, your hall, your church and maybe even a few local charities.

Bring back "Happy Days"! Play your "Xanadu" and "Grease" and "Mama Mia" movies! But don't just sit there. Dance and sing!

If you are on a committee that's planing an event  suggest a dance!

 Let's start a revolution!

Just  Dance!

It can be such a source of joy!
Dancing goobers by Laurie A. Blair copyright 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment