Thursday, September 8, 2011

Going Green!

Lucky the Amigurumi Snail created by Laurie A. Blair
Lucky here is a little slow. he is still the ultimate recycler though. Every time he needs a new home. he doesn't build a new one and waste resources. He finds an old one he can reuse.

Now, I too am attempting to be avid recycler,  there I just added it to my dictionary. It's officially a word!

I know it can be a pain to recycle. But every time I see a child there is no question in my mind that I am right to be so proactive. their future is at stake.

Now when I started my job as custodian at our church you would not believe the amount of paper we threw away! I quickly made it my goal to recycle as much as possible bulletins and banners. meeting notes and what have you... I would say I now recycle as much as 92% of the items thrown out at our church. Other people there are working hard on it too. Asking people to use ceramic cups, not disposable, if possible. using cloth table covers, real plates and silver ware for events whenever they can.

But there are still hold outs. people who say it doesn't make a difference and then throw their foam cup full of coffee into the trash making it impossible for me to recycle the wet glop now residing in the trash can, and forcing me to empty a quarter full bag. What a waste....

Putting water bottles in the trash. Oh please, oh please, consider purchasing a re-usable water bottle! And if you can't please recycle the plastic one. Don't throw it away whatever you do!

Boxes, cans, paper you name it go for it. Check your local recycle numbers and go wild.

I am hoping to eventually get our church to put solar panels on the roof. Many companies lease them now making them very affordable, like FREE. many churches are doing it too. Especially in the Northeast. They have huge roofs and can hold a large amount of panels. That plus there is a lot of time when they (the churches) are not using the building so all that passive energy can be sold back to the power companies. What a saving! Just imagine what the church could do with that money! These companies will lease them for 25 years and are responsible for all repairs and updates. Nice huh?

I just see so many ways we are just missing the boat in America. We need to get rid of that old mentality that the Earth can take care of it self, and start listening. It needs help!

If I had all the money in the world I would buy a plot of land on a mountain, build an underground house, put solar panels on the roof. A power windmill in the back, And a water recapture system for my roof and land. I know some people will think I am going over the top. But I really believe in it!

Now I can't be the Indian crying at the side of the road as people throw trash at his feet. But I can be a grandma asking you to think about going green, or greener for all our children's futures. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Compost, Garden, Look into new energy companies that are researching  new ways to save energy and support them. This could mean awesome jobs for people as well.

They are having a big Greentopia festival in Rochester NY next weekend and I can't wait to go! http://www.greentopiafestival.com/ . I am really hoping they can give me some new great ideas. I hope if you are local you get a chance to go too. I would love to see you there!

My kids used to say "Green is yucky!"

I say green is Renewing, refreshing and beautiful! For our future I am now going green!

No comments:

Post a Comment