Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Walk Home...

Pretty much every afternoon now I get to walk my granddaughter Mina home from school.

I love doing it!

It is a time for reflection and fun. Every day she shouts "grandma! As though it is the first time we are doing this.

We start our conversation with what her day was like. And then a quick rundown of my day so far. Then she begins to point out things to me. Flowers so small and perfect that would fit on the top of a pencil eraser.

She collects fall leaf bouquets for her mommy.

When she saw water workers drilling on the sidewalk she walked up and looked in the hole and asked what they were doing? They replied that they were looking for gold! She was so excited! "Maybe there really is gold under the streets and sidewalk grandma !"

I was about to dash all her young hopes but I decided not to.

Because... I remembered all the wonderful things I used to imagine on the way home from school. That wonderful time of endless possibilities

These wonderful walks remind me every day to look for the very small things, like little flowers.

The beautiful things all around me in the changing of the season that I could only see as a need to get things ready for winter.

And to make a beautiful gift of it to someone who was not there with us.

But I think my favorite thing is her glory in exploring the world around her the way she jumps in and asks questions. And her total dedication to the idea of endless possibilities !

Soon enough the real world will place it's weight on her. But I hope these walks encourage her to find a way to incorporate all the possibilities that she sees now.

"Grandma can we go slow? There's a lot to see. " She says.
"Yup honey!" "we have all the time in the world..."

2 comments: