Monday, November 28, 2011

PCOS, for All Women and the Men that Love Them!

We will share!
Okay ladies! No more hiding in the shadows... This is a touchy subject. Embarrassing and messy. But we must speak out So I will begin.

I had PCOS , In other words Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. It gives you heavy and painful periods, it can keep you from having children, it can cause you to get Cancer. It can pretty much destroy your life. If you let it...

I, like the woman in the bible who couldn't stop bleeding, couldn't stop bleeding. It was awful and embarrassing to say the very least. The honest truth, messy and life ruining. And by the time I wouldn't except one more  "let's wait and see answer from my doctors", I almost died from the hidden cancer in my uterus all due to PCOS.

Oh and poor care.

And I say this about good doctors and bad. I had many of both. Too many times they wanted to take a wait and see attitude. Even though my life was in ruin, and I am truly embarrassed to say, I let them do it. I let them shame me into waiting, oh, just lose weight. I did. It did not work. Take these pills, get your diabetes under control. Try excercize. Yeah that didn't work either... I let them put me on a back burner and wasted so many years of my life because of it.

I spent 27 years dealing with pain, heavy bleeding and clots, Hemeraging. Sometimes for 3 weeks of the month, having to carry extra clothes, usually three sets, and cleaning supplies with me every where. Standing behind the counter at work helping a customer while bleeding all over the floor because I stood up. Too many surgery's to mention. D&C's, Ablations. Nothing worked. And when I asked for a hysterectomy again and again I was rejected and told to try something else for a while.

Finally, I had enough. It was my life that was being put on hold. Me who couldn't attend things because I would bleed all over. Me who suffered some of the most embarrassing situations. Bleeding all over myself in the grocery store, a party, while working, in my car. While on a field trip with my daughters class, my kids graduations... And I am talking about a lot of blood. it soaked through my pants in minutes, my whole pants, top to bottom, 5 times or more a day! And when I went to the doctor crying they told me. I could deal with it. I almost slugged that doctor! And I should have bought stock in sanitary napkins and tampons. Thousands of my dollars went into them!

So enough was enough, I got another new doctor and said. Here's what I want, "I want my life back"!  And he said okay, he listened to what I had to say and when I was done, he said, "I think you are right", "it is past time".

Hooray! but then as I said, they did the surgery and the biopsy revealed what all their tests had not. A large cancer on the back of my uterus, totally covered by tons of tissue and blood. I was terrified, I feared I had let them talk me into loosing my life.

But two wonderful women doctors and Radiation seems to have taken care of it. But I have to wait five years to be totally sure.

But in the meantime, I am determined to share!

With my daughters, with my family and friends, we all talk about breast cancer, Now it's time we shared about this. Especially with the men in our lives. Andy was my savior and lifeline.

I had PCOS, My daughters have it, I know I have other family members who have it as well. Because it is hereditary. And we need to talk about it, be aware, and never, I mean NEVER, let a doctor shame you into not doing what is right for you.

As I was ringing the bell for the Salvation Army last week and the week before, I just couldn't help thinking how enjoyable my life is now! How much I appreciate this freedom!  And of how much of my life had been lost to PCOS.

What a waste!

I will never be the woman in the bible again, waiting inside, in darkness and shame.
She too had her enough is enough moment and...When she heard the Lord was coming, she had waited long enough! Nothing was going to stop her! And she came outside, I am sure still bleeding, but determined, and reached out and touched the Lord's robe and changed her life. Her faith and strength had made her whole.

Don't hide in the shadows, don't wait! If there is a problem tell your doctor, and tell them to to fix it, now, not later!

And share, PLEASE share with your daughters, family and friends. Lets get rid of this stupid stigma!

I had PCOS!
Free, how I feel every day now!

No comments:

Post a Comment