Thursday, November 10, 2011

The True Gift.

I shop really early every week. Between 4 and 5 am. I have made friends with the cashiers who now know me by heart being that there are so few customers at that hour. They think I am crazy for walking, but they love my idea for toting my groceries home in a umbroller stroller. It was a dollar at a garage sale. What can I say? It holds a lot and is easy to push. But, I digress...

Yesterday as I was being rung out, I mentioned that I was so happy that Christmas was on a Sunday this year and that I would be ringing in a special bell choir. I invited the cashier, and her family to come.
"We won't be celebrating Christmas this year..." she said. "We can't afford it". Looking very sad.
I have heard this from several people this year... My heart breaks every time.
Because, well... It doesn't have to be, well, sad...

And I proceeded to tell her what I am about to tell you.

Without being preachy. Being wholly honest!

We have had many wonderful Christmases, not because we had money and lots of presents, because we didn't. My kids did not get video game systems, tons of fashionable clothes, etc. If it was a good year, they got one toy, usually something I made. homemade cabbage patch dolls, velvet dinosaurs, stuffed mice, puppets. Well you get the idea, And an outfit that I made also. Jammies and robes made of old blankets and comforters I found at the VOA. Dresses and pants to wear on Christmas day made from curtain panels also found at the VOA.

I made a lot of stuff!

Sometimes, if one of the kids wanted something very bad. I would save bottles and pennies I found on the ground and voila by Christmas I usually had enough to get the special dinosaur book James wanted.

If it was a bad year, well, I would try and fill their stockings. Sometimes, we couldn't even do that. But don't get the wrong idea.

We ALWAYS celebrated Christmas...

Andy and I tried to always find the JOY in Christmas, no matter what. Going to church to celebrate each Advent Sunday, making Christmas cookies to bring to our neighbors, who were elderly and had no children. Attending free Christmas concerts everywhere! The malls , the schools. Helping pass out Christmas baskets.  Going downtown to see the lights, driving around to see all the houses in our neighborhood decorated for Christmas. The first year Sara was sick we made bread dough ornaments for everyone. It wasn't much, but it was fun and it made us feel good!

Making the best Christmas day meals we could, telling each other how much we loved one another. This was the the order of most Christmas days. Notes of appreciation and love. I treasure these. They are worth more than Gold to me....

I am SAD that so many people are suffering! When there should be no need for that. Really. I am sorry. There just shouldn't be.

But, don't let this hardship take away your Christmas! Because the true gift of Christmas, isn't things... It's Love and thoughtfulness, Joy and renewal and most of all sharing and caring. It really is the thought that counts!

So even if you can't afford presents, put your tree up. Share that time with your family or the one you love. Celebrate every part of Christmas you can. Find new ways to do it!

I hugged my friend, told her I would pray for her and that I hoped she an her family could find a way through this sad time to celebrate Christmas. And I invited her to come again to our Christmas eve and Christmas morning services.

Yes, this year, Christmas is on a Sunday.

I am excited!

I will get up get ready for church. Pray and play my bells to honor my  Lord and share that with everybody in my congregation. Celebrate the JOY of my savior's birth, celebrate music and beauty and LOVE! Go home and love my husband, my kids and grandkids and my whole family. Whether they are there with me or not. Whether I have presents or not. And be filled up with happiness!

Because, I have found the true gift of Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment