Monday, November 21, 2011

Women of my Heart! Happy Birthday Mom...

Julie Walters as the wonderful Molly Weasley!
Molly Weasley, how do I love thee, Let me count the ways...


  1. For your loving and firm representation of real moms.
  2. For your determination in letting your children know how much you loved them.
  3. This includes the children who were not of your womb, but, never the less your children.
  4. For showing the world all the above, but that when push comes to shove and your children's lives are in danger and you can do something about it! Watch out world, you have just poked a Tiger!!!


I love the Harry Potter books, deeply. Reading them I most identified with Molly Weasley, I was not brave and strong like Hermione, or carefree like Luna, or Ginny surely loved, strong in that conviction.

I was like Molly. Chubbie, Mom, loving and loved. Making home the best sanctuary I could. Wanting to help sooo much, helping where I could, stepping back when I knew they needed to do something on their own. Even when it killed me... Giving all I could to my family. And when nobody suspected, stronger than even I ever knew. When it came to my family...well, watch out! When I was reading the final Harry Potter book and I got to the part about Molly battling Bellatrix, Who had just attempted to kill Molly's daughter Ginny. All the people there, in the Great Hall, were shocked by Molly running into the fray, the fury of Molly's spells and their strength! The battle between this mom and crazy witch was so powerful the floor heated up and cracked from the power of their spells.
None of the men fighting had caused this to happen. This was a powerful woman!
The best compliment I got from my grown up children, and they all said it, Was that when they were reading that part of the book, they thought of me. That, that, would have been me... Standing there between death, and my children fighting valiantly! I can't help but cry even now...It means that much to me.

There are so many other wonderful women of my heart, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Who shared her family Journey through the "Little House" books, not the TV show! And her daughter Rose Wilder Lane, who was a wonderful writer, and many other things as well. Jo from "Little Women" and Marme... Jane from "Jane Eyre". The brave, long suffering, Elinor from "Sense and Sensibility".

These women who have my heart, some are fictional, some real. They have taken me through my life and shown me what real strength is, given me purpose, and shown me defining myself and defending my all, whatever that may be, is okay. Even if others don't agree with me.

So, if you haven't figured this out already, this for my mom...
Who taught me to read, Sing, and dance. Who when I had my Gallbladder and Appendix out at 19, was there crying and yelling at the attendant for uncaringly hurting me when tranfering me to my bed. For driving me to so many Radiation treatments for 3 months and sitting beside me while I cried. For always encouraging me, teaching me to knit and crochet, to sew and draw. And for always loving me the best she could in a not so easy world.
For being my Molly Weasley... I love you mom.

Happy Birthday! A little early it's tomorrow..

A woman of my heart,
Vida Ann Schwalm ~ Johnston
Born November 22, 1942
My mom, sister Bonnie, brother David, and sister Naomi at my Aunt Bev's wedding around 1972?

No comments:

Post a Comment