Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Tick Tock,

Wall Clock

Oh the joy of a wall clock!

I love mine!

I got it for ten dollars at our church Rummage sale. It looks a lot like the one above, only lighter wood and not quite as fancy. Much simpler and homey. It keep great time because Andy keeps it wound for me. I never had to ask. He just started doing it. I think he likes the job. I have added a little micey to mine, he runs across the top (not really, only in my imagination). A lady who was my Sunday school teacher always had one on her clock. and I liked the idea so I added one to mine.

It counts the hour and tones on the half hour. I love it at night when I wake up to hear it strike the hour, it's somehow comforting. The gentle tick tock is my companion on days when I am at home.

And strangely we don't seem to hear it when we are talking or watching TV, Which is funny as it lives on the wall right next to it.

There have been more than a few times Andy and I have been talking in bed, after a day where trouble has dogged us, the clock will sound as if to say, time is going to keep going on. We both realize in the big scheme of things it wasn't something that couldn't be overcome. We were already in a new hour, minute, second.

Tick tock, tick tock, life seconds numbering...

I sing "My Grandfather's Clock to my grandchildren every night at bedtime when they are at my house. It's Mina's favorite! She loves the "Tick Tock"  refrain. I remember my mom teaching it to me and my sisters. It is a memory I cherish. I think part of the reason I have always wanted a clock was because of that song.

I love how I can tell Mina we will go to the playground when the clock strikes ten. I love listening as she counts as it strikes the hour and she comes to tell me, "grandma it is time to go to the playground and swing"! She gets it!

All the other clocks around me make me feel like I need to speed up! But not the wall clock. It seems to say with it's gentle tick tock, slow down, enjoy the moment, you've got plenty of time...

Mostly though, I love how it makes me feel the quiet, especially at night. It reminds me of a simpler time. When people had time to be together, sit around and talk, and knit and play cards. Why, just enjoy each other, their families, and their friends.

I love my clock! It is my treasure and pride!

I am grateful, tick tock, of it's quiet sweet song, tick tock, that reminds me each day is only so long, tick tock.

To waste not a minute, tick tock. For time will just keep going on... dong, dong, dong, dong, dong... A new day begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment