Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pajama Days!

In the morning I was up early, waiting, for the school cancellations... Ah , yay! Rochester city schools closed!
"Pajama Day!" I would call up the stairs
"Woo Hoo!" Would be the answering cry
Picture three large teenagers rumbling down the stairs in tee shirts and undies, long underwear and hoodies. Blankets and pillows and stuffed animals in tow.
Now you have to remember on a normal school day I would not be able to drag these kids out of bed! They would fight over who had to take their shower first because they all wanted to sleep in.

But Pajama day was different. It was special...

Every day I would listen for the news weather man to announce the probability of a huge winter storm. It was my que to stop at the store that night and buy a gallon of milk, four boxes of the worst sugariest cereals and all the fixens for homemade pizza. And forbidden fruit, soda! Then I would hide them away.
The kids never asked. I think they wanted to be surprised. I loved that!

We had started these days during the very memorable ice storm. when they were in grade school. And there were a few rules. First, no answering the door, In other words no company! Second, no fighting. Third, everybody picked a movie and everybody watched them all no griping.
It was the one time they could eat in the living room so there they would be sprawled out under blankets, stretched across pillows eating Coco Puffs and Captain Crunch, Our four cats had by now also made the room their home for the day, and the dog looked longingly at all of their bowls waiting for the chance to lick them clean (the one time I allowed it). I sat happily on the couch and during the day they would all take turn coming up and snuggling with me. No dishes, no cleaning, no phone calls.

The day started with laughter, a movie, discussions, reviews, another movie, more discussions, sometimes re-enactments of scenes, more cereal, more laughter and movies, movies, movies! Later when dad got home everybody made their own pizza's, and we sat down to watch dad's movie choice. More wonderful discussions, more laughter and food! All while outside the storms raged.

These days have such a place in my heart! These were the times when the kids felt free to talk about concerns and frustrations. To sound out ideas they had, and where they felt brave enough to tell each other they were needed. To share with me their deepest secrets. To try out their more adult selves as they got older without fear. To connect with their dad, who was working so much that he felt left out. These days filled him up...

I could have wasted these days , and saved myself the cleanup the next day. But I am so glad I didn't! It was totally worth it all, even all the Star Trek movies! Don't get me started, the discussions from that series were epic!

My hope is that each family can find a day, and make it theirs. Keep the rules simple, and share your dreams. The memories will fill you up for years to come.

to get you started:

Personal pizza's

  • Soft taco tortillas
  • tomato sauce
  • mozzarella  and Parmesan cheese
  • toppings of your choice

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees, with a small basting brush, brush sauce on tortilla, add cheeses of your choice, and toppings. Place on cookie sheet and place in oven. bake for 8-10 minutes. Have Fun! I wish you many Pajama Days!

No comments:

Post a Comment