Monday, August 22, 2011

My Amigurumi Life!

Amigurumi- Little crocheted or knitted toy.

For me Amigurumi = Second childhood (really first for me, but again that is another story)

This all started for me just over four years ago. We had just found out we were going to have our first grandchild and being that we didn't have a lot of money, I decided to make things for the baby. I could crochet and knit.

So, off to the library I go, and in amoungst all the books with sweaters and blankets. was this one book called AMIGURUMI, I pulled it out and looked at it. Toys, bunches of them. Easy patterns, funny and cute. So excited I checked it out and went home and started. Well I worked through the book in two days, making pigs, a rabbit, frogs, lambs and cats.

Now I was hooked! I brought the book back to the library and asked the librarian if there were more books on this subject? She looked and said "we don't have any more yet", my heart sank.... "But!" she said "they had ordered two more and they would be there soon". I just couldn't wait... My husband thought I was crazy. I started looking on line. And there they were! People all over the world were making them!

I needed more yarn for this! Heading over to the local BF's (Ben Franklin Store)  I charged into their Yarn Barn looking for fun Yarn and there I met Sue. She ran the Barn. My excitement over these Amigurumi creations must have made a big impression on her. Because a few days later I saw her when I was out walking and she remembered me. I started bringing my creations over to show her, and then I met Charlene, then Pat, Sue suggested a class, Okay I said. Let's make the pig! At the class I met LuRay, Kathy, this group just kept on growing. It was wonderful. Now I have Luanne, Brenda Jo, Kelsy, and Lynn, Jodie, the other Sue and more. These women are on this journey through my second childhood with me and as far as I can tell happily. We meet every Tuesday night where we laugh and cry, give moral support and encourage each other in our projects and our lives.

These toys cover my house. I giggle over them and yes, I play with them! Andy comes home excited to see what I made each day and I think he loves them too.

But these women, They have my heart. They rejuvenate me, they play with me. We share our yarns, our tools, and our lives. Together, we have learned to think outside the box, and that everyone's Amigurumi will be different, some go faster and some go slower, but that's okay!

Isn't that just like life, to keep opening up to new friends, that it's so much better when we share, be brave and go outside our comfort zone, lastly, accept that everyone is different.

My journey began with a book and a funny word- Amigurumi

If you haven't already begun yours I wonder what will start you on your journey?

See you later, I am going to play!

P.S. By the way if you are ever in Hilton on a Tuesday evening, come to Amelia's Fabric and Yarn Shop. We'll spot you some yarn and all the tools you need to play with us. I would love to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment