Friday, August 26, 2011

At a Glance...

My Life at a Glance-2011  Laurie A. Blair
I am an artist.

This is the wallpaper on my computer everyday when I open it up. It is a pretty fair representation of me. Don't get it, that's okay! You don't have to. It's art.

Being an artist, I can't do anything without feeling that creative purpose. Last evening as it stormed and I had to shut down my computer. I sat frustrated at the lack of being able to write my blog, Paint pictures with my words.
Then I opened my window and my heart to the beauty of the storm. My brain can not help it, the artist took over. I sat mesmerized...

When I was a kid, my father would shake his head as if there was something terribly wrong with me, and tell people I was a daydreamer.... As if that was a form of some horrible disease! For years I thought there was something really wrong with me! Huh? What?

I sculpt with Yarn, my Amigurumi's are sculptures I make art that children can cuddle, adults too for that matter. But, people sometimes look at me like I have a third eye when I am lovingly showing off my creations. Huh? Why?

I  create masterpieces with food, average food, that is super delicious! At least that's what I have been told. I think my weight bears out that fact. I savor each flavor, each nuance, the way the colors and the tastes blend together. I serve it up to my husband who says "what's that, is it a bean?" "Do they usually add beans to this dish?" as he holds the bean on the end of his fork looking at it. "You don't like it? " I inquire. "Oh no!" he says seriously "I love it!" and proceeds to eat the plate up, ask for seconds, and devour that as well. And then a few weeks later asks me why I haven't made it again?  "I thought you didn't like it ." I reply. "now what would make you think that?" he says. Again, What? Huh?

I sing, I dance, I try to create experiences for my family in everyday things. The amount of sun coming in the window, smells, food cooking in the kitchen , fresh sun dried sheets on the bed. Flowers all over the house. Pictures everywhere. And I am always surprised when someone comes to my house and says "Wow!, that's a little overwhelming..." What? .  "Oh no! It's just I have never seen so many things on the wall like that." So?! I am thinking. "Does it look bad?" I ask. "No, no, just different." Again Huh?

I used to let these things stop me from creating. I used to let them make me feel different. weird!

Oh, not any more. Nope!

I AM AN ARTIST! I revel in my weirdness!

Now when somebody looks at me funny, or says something unkind. I feel sorry for them. They are missing the point. It's not about making sense. In fact! Art is all about opening the door and throwing yourself out into that moment, that feeling, that smell , that taste! Letting the colors fill your soul, the sounds fill your ears and your heart!

I am 49 years old, I hope I can help other artists to find their glance, their moment, that grace, long before they get to my age. So I am sharing my art with you. I am not asking you what you think. I am only asking you to let the artists that you know, be artists. Don't look at them funny, question their vision. Just simply enjoy, savor, look and encourage.

You might be surprised to find an artist in you...

No comments:

Post a Comment