Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Just Knowing...

Mina and Ellie


Recently I had both my granddaughters together for the first time.
It was such a wonderful time! A time with two little girls who sensed their oneness right away, It was four days of laughter and joy!

Well...except for one little thing

Mina the oldest, immediately started looking out for her cousin Ellie. She became her protector and guide, sometimes to Ellies frustration.
One day as Ellie was trying to get up on the bathroom stool to brush her teeth just like she had seen Mina do. Mina tried pulling her down, "no Ellie! You'll fall!"  When that didn't work. She put her foot up to push Ellie off , not thinking about what was coming next.
 I did though!  I ran and caught Ellie and said "Mina!" before I could say anything more
 I was shocked as she burst into tears and ran out of the room!

"Mina, Honey?" What's wrong?"
"I am afraid you are going to hate me!" she cried out.
Okay, against my will, please forgive me I burst out laughing...
I couldn't help it!

"Grandma don't laugh at me!"
"Come here baby..." I pulled her in close and hugged her tight. Ellie sensing a moment for love joined in and we all sat there snuggled together. "Oh honey, I am not laughing at you!"
 "sweetie, I am laughing at the very idea that I could ever, ever hate you. " "Grandma couldn't even if she tried!"
"in fact!" I said "even if angry ninjas came in here and said I had to hate you, I'd beat them up and say No!"
"Really?" she asked. "Really! Forever and ever!" I replied.

At which point we talked about using our thinking cap, putting it on and thinking about what would happen before we do things. She got it! Right away! And all was right with the world. Now, I don't think she will always remember or that she won't make mistakes. But we have started on a journey...

Afterward, I started to think about why we assume children know these things.
We do!
How do they know, to think before doing, unless we show them how. Teach them to know how to behave . Unless we tell them and show them what we expect from them.  I always show my grandchildren that I love them, but now I think I will make sure I not only tell them that I love them , but that, like God's love, there is nothing that could ever make me stop loving them.

Being a parent is all about Unconditional Love and Forgiveness
 Being a grandparent, is about all that, and a little more, I think. Because we have the time, and the patience. We are supposed to show them the wonder of the world, give them laughter and wings to soar! Helping them to dream, and giving them an unconditional place in our arms, filled with LOVE for when they fall. Reassurance and guidance to try again.

We sow all our love and reap a rich reward by helping them to just know it's always there!

No comments:

Post a Comment