Thursday, August 18, 2011

Lets Hear it for the girls!


This one is for my girls, oh their brother is special too. But that is a story for another day.

Today is for the girls...

They do this thing called LARPing or for you beginners LIVE ACTION ROLE PLAYING.

They have been doing this thing since high school.

When they first started Andy and I thought it was about the stupidest thing we had ever heard of. Well, we were wrong! Yup you heard me! Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!

It has been the best most wonderful thing! From this group of people they have reaped long committed friendships. Support, Strength, belief in themselves and their abilities.

I have seen my daughters, who were somewhat timid, turn into strong Kick Butt women! They make men cry out in pain when they battle. No timidness there. And they take as good as they get. They actually come home from their battles boasting about their latest awful bruises.

I love watching them battle and listening to them planning for the next battle practice. I love watching them creating their outfits and weapons. Their pride in the teams they are a part of, and their commitment to doing things right while still having fun. And yes there are politics, and arguments, as there are with any large group. But what I admire, is that they settle things and move on.

This group has helped one son in law find a job, when he lost his last one. Found them a place to live. When cars broke down. They helped fix. Driven my daughter to numerous doctor appointments. And supported my daughter in her quest for a kidney donor.

But the thing I love most about them is how they helped my daughters become these wonderful strong women. Growing up I told them they could do anything. But this group showed them how! Helped them to feel confident in doing it. Made them believe in their inner strength! I tried, but I could not give this to them. But this group did!

So all you parents out there, the next time your kids talk to you about doing something different. Don't discourage them. Give it a try. Go with them, watch them. You may be looking at future friends, supporters and guides for your kids. People who might help your kids find the best part of themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment