Sunday, October 23, 2011

To grandmother's house we go....

John Sloane
http://www.johnsloaneart.com/gallery_pages/horsepower.html




Over the river and through the woods
To Grandmother's house we go
The horse knows the way to carry the sleigh
Through white and drifted snow


Over the river and through the woods
Oh how the wind does blow
It stings the toes and bites the nose
As over the ground we go


[Everybody now]
Over the river and through the woods
To Grandmother's house we go
The horse knows the way to carry the sleigh
Through white and drifted snow


Over the river and through the woods
Oh how the wind does blow
It stings the toes and bites the nose
As over the ground we go


[Instrumental]


Over the river and through the woods
And through the barnyard gate
We seem to go extremely slow
It is so hard to wait


Over the river and through the woods
Now Grandmother's cap I spy
Hooray for the fun
Is the pudding done?
Hooray for the pumpkin pie
Hooray for the fun
Is the pudding done?
Hooray for the pumpkin pie
Hooray!

Okay  I know I have been talking a lot about traveling, that's probably because I have been doing a lot of it lately.
I can't help remembering all the trips we took to go to our grandparent's houses. Putting on our best bib and tucker mom would say.
That meant our best shorts or dungerees ( yeah I said it! not jeans!) our hair brushed out and our faces cleaned, mom packing up cookies or salad and dad checking the car for our trip. From the city to the suburbs. Yup! I am dating myself. that was a long trip back in the day. Seemed to take forever!

We would sing and laugh, poor Bonnie always got carsick so she would be taking big heaping gulps of fresh air from the window and mom would say "quiet down back there, your dad is trying to drive".

Westside drive had a lot more trees and only a few houses and farms. Mom would tell us stories about her childhood and the neighbors.

I remember when we got there pulling in the dirt and stone driveway. The little house. I always remember thinking how did 11 people all live in that house together. And before my grandpa built the garage and subsequent addition, there was a little hill you ran up, and when you got to the top you could look down at the long back yard. Family sitting out there around grandma and grandpa Schwalm. Singing and food, family and love. lots and lots of cousins... I remember some late night card parties where us kids slept on the living room floor listening to the laughter and jokes and one upmanships of all the grownups until it was time to go  and my dad and mom carrying us to the car for the long ride home. Watching the stars all the way home through the window. It was almost magical....

Going to my grandma and grandpa Benoit's started the same way, they had fruit trees all around their yard. grape vines and hiding places under the stairs. We always were so excited to see the wagon wheels that decorated the end of their driveway. And inside the kitchen both my grandparents greeting you with hugs and kisses. The table practically groaned with food on the holidays. And there were so many people in that little dining room, but I couldn't wait to move from the children's table to that tiny dining room.

I was so proud when it happened! When I was old enough to help the women with cleaning up. I felt so grown up...

I miss those days and people so much. so much! Our world has made it more difficult to do these things. have these get together s. We are spread out and far away.  I am trying very hard to keep these traditions for my granddaughters and my children. And as the holidays come close I can almost feel those I love beside me, smell the cooking, hear the singing and laughter, feel the hugs. And yup, I still look out the window on the way home and up at that magical starry sky, and hear myself saying "star light, star bright, wish I may, wish I might, have the wish I wish tonight..." I wish you all such joyous memories to share and family near to share them with.

No comments:

Post a Comment